Getting Started with Apical
Frequently Asked Questions
We have compiled a list of Frequently Asked Questions on our FAQ page. If you have questions after reading this guide, please look at the FAQ for more information.
If you have a question that isn't covered in the FAQ, please send us a message on our Contact Us page.
How to Place an Order
Working with Apical is a simple process that involves a few simple steps. Essentially, the process is this:
- Purchase Avery shipping label templates (as described below)
- Obtain your leaf, soil or water samples (see Sampling Guides for more information)
- Print the Apical shipping label template onto the Avery labels (as described below)
- Fill out the shipping labels and attach them to matching samples
- Optionally place an order on the website, so you can pay and share reports before they are processed.
- Ship your samples to Apical (our address is on each label). Make sure to time your shipment to arrive early in the week.
Placing an Order Online
Ordering online before shipping your samples has multiple benefits:
- If you need to share your reports with multiple recipients (colleagues, agronomists, etc.) that won't fit in the CC: field of the Avery label.
- This allows you to customize your cultivar with geographical positioning or zip code for accurate cultivar weather on your Home page and on the Detailed Cultivar Weather page.
- You may also order recommendations (General Notes or a Detailed Recommendation). See more information about working with agronomists and consultants here.
- If you want to receive a discount for a large bulk order. Orders of 11 or more reports are discounted, but only if they are paid online in advance (before the samples are processesd by the laboratory).
Receiving Your Report
Once your samples are processed:
- The data is uploaded to the Apical website
- An email is generated and sent to the customer and anyone on the CC: list (see shipping label) with links to the reports
- If the report has not yet been paid, the report link leads to a payment page that allows you to pay with PayPal. NOTE: It is important to click 'Return to Merchant' after payment completes, so our website will be notified of the payment.
- When you view your report, you may order a recommendation by clicking on 'Buy Recommendation'. See agronomists page for more information on recommendations.
- When viewing your report, you may also share the report to an email address by clicking on 'Share This Report'
This section explains how long it takes to process samples and to receive your report.
Gathering Recommendations for Your Reports
Many of our customers work with professional agronomists or consultants to get the most value and actionable intelligence from each report. An agronomist will review your report and make recommendations based on the data and element ratios in each report.
You can request agronomist recommendations from Apical when you order your reports, or you may choose to work with your own agronomist.
Apical provides two types of recommendations:
- General Notes ($10 per report): Example: High Boron, Low Calcium, Toxic Sodium
- Detailed Recommendations ($25 per report): Example: (on a per acre basis)
- 500 lb Soft Rock Phosphate
- 500 lb Perfect Blend 4-4-2
- 250 lb Feather Meal
- 500 lb Fish Bone Meal
- 250 lb Mesa Verde Humates
Web Orders (pre-paid)
When placing a web order for a report (or set of reports), simply choose the type of recommendation you prefer. The report cost will be adjusted automatically, and you can pay for the report immediately.
Manual Orders (post-paid)
If sending samples with shipping labels without placing a web order first, be sure to indicate which type of recommendation you want for each report. Your report cost will be adjusted and added to your order total.
When a recommendation is available, you will receive an email with the recommendation text; in addition, the recommendation text will appear at the top of your report whenever viewing it on the web site.
Our Agronomists and Recommendations page has detailed instructions for sharing your reports with other Apical customers.
(Please allow 3-5 business days for your recommendations to be processed.)
Visualizing Your Data
Your Grower Home page displays all of your fields/crops/cultivars, quick weather status for each of your cultivars, and sections listing each of your Apical reports by type (leaf, soil, water).
For example, the Cultivar Details page allows you to order reports for that cultivar, add or remove photographs, and edit or delete the cultivar. It displays all reports created for that cultivar, along with any photos that have been uploaded for that cultivar.
You can view all of your reports (and their current status) at our Reports page.
Once you have generated multiple reports for a cultivar, you can begin using our Charting Features to chart elements for single or multiple cultivars in a variety of formats.
Purchasing Products (Biostimulants, Nutrients and Amendments)
Our Organic Products List shows all of the products available for purchase through Apical.
We offer organic algricultural products from the following major suppliers:
- AgriGro, Inc.
- Agro Research International (ARI)
- Eden Solutions
- Ferticell (Agro Plasma, Inc.)
- FertilGold Organics
- Grower's Secret (Vital Vit)
- Growth Products
- Mapleton Agri Biotech PTY LTD
- PB Ohrstrom
- Tainio Biologicals, Inc.
How Do Shipping Labels Work?
Avery 5164 and 8164 Labels are a popular way to customize address labels. Apical provides customized label templates that you print, peel, fill out and attach to your samples.
Follow these steps for a flawless sample submission:
- First, download the label templates for your sample type, using the 'View Document' links below.
- Insert Avery Label stock into your printer's paper feed (removing standard paper first).
- Use the 5164 stock for simple labels. Use the 8164 stock for deluxe labels.
- Print the appropriate Apical template onto your Avery Label stock.
- Fill in all the fields with blue or black pen.
- Peel the labels and attach them to your samples.
- Be certain to include enough leaves or soil. If there is not enough to measure, some measurements will fail.
- If you do not have old leaves for Old Leaf samples, cut the leaves closest to the plant root. While not as effective as true old leaves, it will help to show nutrient movement through the plant and provides data for the report's charts.
- Send your samples via UPS or FedEx to the address on the label (we recommend overnight or two-day delivery).
Make sure to time your shipment to arrive early in the week. If your samples are set to arrive on a weekend, they will not be delivered until Monday and will miss Monday's laboratory sample run.
NOTE: We cannot accept Cannabis samples from any state but Oregon. These Cannabis samples must be hand-delivered to our laboratory. Cannabis may not be shipped via carriers like USPS, UPS, and FedEx.
You may send soil or water samples for Hemp/Cannabis from any state.
How Long Does It Take To Get My Reports?
Creating your reports is a multi-step process:
- Receiving and unpacking your shipment
- Organizing samples and labels
- Slow-drying soil samples (for soil reports only - up to 7 days)
- Preparing samples for the next laboratory analysis date (Mondays and Fridays, with a Wednesday run if there are enough samples)
- Running the analysis (1 business day)
- Collating the results and preparing data for upload (1 business day)
- Uploading data to our website and sending notification emails
It takes a minimum of 48 hours for the analysis/collation/reporting process to complete.
If samples arrive at our laboratory by Thursday at 10am (PST), they will be included in Thursday's laboratory analysis. Results are usually available Friday evening or Saturday morning.
If samples arrive after Thursday 10am (PST), they will be included in Monday's laboratory analysis. Results are usually available Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning.
Please be patient and know that you will receive your reports by email as soon as they are available. There is no need to call to ask if your reports are ready.
NOTE: Soil samples are slow-dried up to 7 days (depending on moisture content on arrival) before being processed by the laboratory. Once properly dried, they are queued for the next laboratory analysis day.
Our laboratory is in Oregon on Pacific Standard Time (PST).
Which Label Should I Use?
Individual growers will generally use the Avery 5164 labels.
If you are an agronomist who will be viewing client reports, or if you need to share your report with an agronomist (using the CC: email field), then use the Avery 8164 stock. The larger size provides extra fields for CC, Client Name and Client Address (for growers who do not use email).
Where Do I Buy Avery Labels?
Avery Labels are available at most office supply stores, Amazon, Target and Walmart. (Currently, Amazon and Walmart have the lowest prices for them.)
A few easy ordering links for Avery 5164 Labels are below:
Links for Avery 8164 Labels are below:
Labels with client details for agronomists
Labels with client details for agronomists
Labels with client details for agronomists